Over time, the convenience of renting cars from car rental companies has offered one of the best ways to be mobile if you intend to go on a little trip. The aim of car rental companies is usually to serve persons who might not own their cars; require a temporary vehicle; are travellers from a different city or town; are owners of cars which have been damaged and are awaiting repairs, or just want to reduce the mileage on their cars, hence needing a rental vehicle for their mobility. For those who need trucks or vans or other types of vehicles such as scooters or motorcycles, there are car rental companies that also provide these.
Most car rental companies offer extra services alongside the basic rental of a vehicle, such as child safety seats, Global Positioning System (GPS) navigation systems, insurance, mobile phones, portable WiFi and entertainment systems. Renting a car is such a common part of the travel experience that you’d think the process would be straightforward and transparent—yet somehow it is anything but. Many travellers aren’t sure how to rent a car without making a few common mistakes. Thoughts like “Do I need to buy additional insurance? What about paying to refuel the car? I hear horror stories about phoney damage claims; should I be worried?” are common. Before anyone decides to rent a car, we advise you to make it a habit to visit online review platforms like reviewsbird.co.uk, to be properly equipped with all the necessary information and services on renting cars.
In the course of this article, we shall be looking at the things you need to know before deciding to rent a car from a car rental company.
Tips Before Renting a Car
- Before you decide to rent a car, you must prepare all the necessary documents such as your drivers’ license and a credit card which has your name on it. This is important because these documents will serve as a guarantee in case of charges such as traffic violations and parking tickets.
- The chances that you will rent a car similar to the same model which you drive, are slim. It is therefore important that before renting a car, you familiarise yourself with the rental car by taking a short ride.
- It is also important to consider buying Excess Full Damage Waiver insurance, even if you are the best driver in the world. This insurance covers damages that might occur as a result of an accident. Damages such as flat tires, broken mirrors, and broken tires are not covered by insurance, and as such, it is better to get Excess Full Damage Waiver.
- You should take note that rental cars are not meant for expeditions, therefore, respect the car for what it is by staying on roads that are paved. Taking the rental off-road is one of the violations of rental agreements and damages can occur, which are not covered by insurance.
- Also, it is important to plan out your journey by knowing the locations that you want to visit. This is important because it saves time and you will end up not going past the booked limit.